Thursday, October 18, 2007

In a rut

I know I just posted about how all this motherhood stuff is finally clicking. And it still is for the most part. Lily's a champion sleeper, she has no eating issues now that the reflux has been figured out, and she is SO good natured. The little tiny problem I'm having right now is boredom. I know that's awful, but it's true. I feel like I'm running out of things to do with her. We can play in the jumperoo or with toys on the floor, but then what? We're using just one car to try to be more eco-friendly, so when my husband is working, we're kinda stuck here. Any ideas for things to do with a 6 1/2 month old? Great toys to invest in? Silly games to play? I'm not sure how much longer I can listen to the songs on the jumperoo...they're invading my dreams at night. :)

12 comments:

mMc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Lavender Luz said...

Do you have a park or library that's within walking distance?

Can you arrange playdates with other moms/kids who live near you?

Yeah, I remember The Rut.

I found I needed an outing a day, or we'd go crazy.

I'll be interested to see what other advice you get.

Lani said...

Thank you so much for telling me you feel the same! I also know what you mean about being in a rut! It would be really hard without the car to make a trip to walmart when I am really desperate. We joined a Gymboree class once a week, I have also been going to teh pool (indoor at our local high schoo, it has Tons of kids stuff and a zero entry so Izzy can crawl all around) Play dates are good too.

It is rough, I hear ya!!!

Meghan said...

Back when I used to nanny, I would take tons and tons of walks. Super entertaining for the baby and at least a change of scenery for you. And you can listen to your ipod for some grown up music!

Michelle said...

From what I remember...Meg loved her Fisher Price piano, the one where it is an infant toy, then you can sit and play, then you can stand and play--she played with that for hours. We also played TONS of peek-a-boo at this age. The other toy she's loved forever is this silly elephant that's a stacking toy and has balls that shake and you can put the balls in the top....I will send a link if I can find it (I have no idea what's called). Anyway, she loved that too.

Getting out is critical--we walked the mall all winter long! If you can't get out, invite friends over for some interaction.

hang in there--everything goes in phases, so in a few weeks, it will all be different again!

Stilla Momma said...

We walk walk walk...

Fisher Price also has game ideas. We go to the library. I cook with her and tell her what I'm doing. We read incessantly and I have a great mom's group once a week. I think we're going to do mommy and me yoga or swimming this winter. We also have one car, so this winter will be rough. I also exercise indoors with the girl...

katd said...

I need to get out and walk more! It would probably help me to feel less bored, let Miss Lil get some entertainment AND help me lose a few pounds:)
Thanks for the tips, girls!

GLouise said...

Good tips from everyone! Is there any chance that you could drive your hubbie to work one day a week so that you have the car for the day? Sometimes it is nice to get out and run errands.
Or maybe he can get into an occasional carpool routine?!

I really admire ya'll for going down to one care. That is awesome!!

beagle said...

I was going to say what GL said. I don't know how much you have within walking distance (I would go crazy without a car, I live in the woods!) But I was going to suggest a take daddy to work day and you get the car. Would that be feasible?

Yeah So said...

We did alot of baby exercising...pull ups, helping him "walk" by holding his hands - stuff to work on his motor skills. We also did ALOT of singing and dancing...it cracks him up to this day!

TeamWinks said...

We have one car and a motorcycle. Now that it's cooler out, I have not vehicle. So, I can totally relate. Can you invite a friend over to your house for lunch or to just hang out?

I too dream of the jumper songs. Lucky is entertained by my exercising. I do a latin dancing video. He likes the music. Baths where he gets to play are fun. He likes books, but there's only so many you can read. This is a tough age (our kids are less than a month apart.)

Lucky is big into blocks. A small bucket and blocks entertains him for quite some time. He's also in love with his exersaucer.

Other than that, I'm fresh out.

Anonymous said...

just wanted to add a little tidbit to this - my son who is now 3 is great at playing by himself my mom told me that right from the begining to make sure i would let him just sit with some blocks or a tape for a little while everyday. This was a sanity saver and a way to get the house cleaned up a bit - good luck.