Saturday, December 16, 2006

To shop or not to shop...

It seems like most adoption websites or message boards I go to feature discussions about whether or not to start a nursery, register for baby stuff, and just shop for baby stuff in general. My personal feeling is that I feel like I've been left out on enough of the "expectant" mother process. I won't be able to visit the doctor to see our baby grow via ultra sound. I won't be able to feel him/her kick or get the hiccups in the womb. Even the big belly and the maternity clothes and the pregnant waddle, I would've welcomed all of it gladly! So, if I want to create a baby registry and set up a nursery and pick out some gender neutral clothing, what's the harm in that? I realize we could match with a baby and it could fall through. But, to me, I am creating a nursery for OUR baby, and if a match is made and falls through, then that baby wasn't meant for us. I want this process to be as much like a pregnancy as possible. We are waiting for our baby. It may be longer than nine months, and we may get lucky and have a shorter wait, but either way, we're what I've heard other bloggers say "paper pregnant." I love that!


I'm attaching some pictures of our nursery so far. I think it's pretty gender neutral, and I am absolutely in love with it. We do keep the door shut every day, but really, when I go in there, I feel excited about what's to come. I think we may go out today in search of a dresser...that is, if I can pull my husband away from college basketball. Oh, the joy. What are your feelings on shopping?




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic! As you may know already we're near completed our nursery. It is the single gr4eatest comfort of mine to sit in there and dream of my little girl. When the days has been crazy I can just go in there close the door wind the music box and close my eyes...

I love your nursery!

katd said...

Thank you SO much:) I'm totally with you; I get so much comfort knowing we're preparing and having faith that our little one will come some day!
I'm going to have to pop on over to your blog and search for your nursery:)

Tiff said...

I think it's different for everyone. We have already been 'given' some baby things (hand me downs, like a crib and changing table)...if it weren't for these things, we would have no baby stuff in our place. But, I see no problem with going out there and preparing yourself...because you never know when you will be getting that call.
VERY cute nursery btw. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh, stop by my blog and look for "La Princesa's Nursery"

I need to get more photos up, but I've made a mess in there with the storage boxes for the Christmas decorations I pulled for my attic and some laundry that I need to get finished on. Boy, am I disorganized!

Lani said...

I am so glad that you posted this as a topic because it is definately something I struggle with. I have only bought a single outfit and it is hanging in the closet by itself. I did start a wish list online but that is about it. I know it is stupid but I feel like if I set up a nursery i am jinxing myself....but at the same time I think it would make it feel more real. We are working on remodeling the room, so far we have stripped wallpaper and need to prime and we will go ahead and paint I think. It is definately something I struggle with. Part of me feels like maybe the whole "if you build it they will come" is true....

I love your nursery, it is so sweet!

katd said...

I love that! If you build it...they will come:) Frances, your nursery is beautiful!

GLouise said...

I love your crib decor! Is it homemade, or did you find it in a store? Really pretty! I love the idea of having a gender neutral nursery that each child can use.