Any of you use cloth diapers or are you considering doing so? We talked about it before Lily came and to be really honest, now that she's here and I've changed some of her icky diapers, I can't imagine doing it. We are trying so hard in our house to be environmentally friendly because it's something we feel strongly about. But what does it say about my commitment to the issue that the idea of putting her stinky diapers into my washing machine makes me want to buy stock in Huggies? :)
Just wanting to feel this out and see if any of you have done it successfully. Any helpful hints?
We're sending our third package of Lily pictures and a letter to A. We have not heard back from her yet, which I understand totally, but it still makes me sad. It's strange how much I miss her. I know I've said it before, but I always thought I'd be open only to closed adoption or semi-private where we just send pictures. If A called today, I'd want to jump in my car and go see her. We have this bond that no person can understand unless they've been there. I mentioned the other day in casual conversation at a family gathering that if Lily wants to meet A, I'd be super-supportive because I want to see her again. My dad was shocked; he kept saying the typical "Won't that confuse Lily" and "What's the point of going back and digging up the past?" responses. But, I know he just wants to protect us. He can't understand that Lily's past is our past and that these people are our family even if we never speak to them again.
Adoption is incredible. I'm even still just now really grasping what happened and how magical (for lack of a better word) our entire journey has been. I feel truly blessed. I'm overwhelmed with love for my girl.
But I still don't want her poopy diapers in my washing machine. :)
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Cloth diapers? Discuss amongst yourselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
I'll see if I can google up a study that supprts this, but I've heard that the environmental impact of laundering cloth diapers is just as bad overall as throwing disposable ones into a landfill.
Baby poop is not environmentally friendly. Period.
But there is a group of moms (the latest trend, I hear) claiming they can go diaperless. Google that for fun!
Oh my goodness. I thought it couldn't get worse than cloth, but diaperless? I'd die. And I'd also have a very messy house. :)
haha you crack me up!
I have a cool story to share with you. I know a family who adopted a boy right in the middle of their 4 girls. Well YEARS later (like 25) he met his birth mom. Hi whole adoptive family fell in love with her instantly and wanted to meet her (and his) whole family. Well now they all have family get togethers and they say she is such a part of their family!
Also, the adopted guy's biological uncle happened to be his adoptive sisters best friend in college.. she use to always say how much he reminder her of her brother!!!! Small world ha?
Gives me goosebumps!
I have heard of the "G" diaper. A friend of mine swears by it. I have to say tha I am not a poopie diaper washer either.
We are going through the same thing with Baby Stilla's birth mother. She was very open to contact in the beginning and now things have changed. I wish we could see her again...in time I guess.
You should try the G diapers. They are great! They are environmentally friendly (you can flush them down the toilet or just put them in the trash) and they work just like any other disposable diaper. Once I found out about them I would never use anything else. http://www.gdiapers.com/ . Good luck!
Hey Katd
I am not a diaper washer either but i have not heard of the g diaper, i guess i will check them out.
I know exactly how you feel about A. Izzy's bm used to e-mail us all the time but I haven't heard from her in over a month and it makes me very sad! We have to go back to texas to finalize the adoption probably in Sept or so and I was really hoping to be able to get together with them. I have her cell number put i haven't called it because if she is having a hard time with it, i don't want to make it worse. Her last e-mail said she would continue to stay in touch so i am just holding on to that and hoping itis true
I contemplated cloth diapers in the beginning, but also had read that the environmental impact of laundering cloth diapers in hot water is just as bad as throwing disposable ones into a landfill. At least the disposable diapers they make today aren't nearly as bad for the landfills as the first disposable diapers on the market. But still, I get a nagging feeling once in a while that I am not being environmentally friendly....I'm off now to look into these G diapers :)
I know you've read my blog and know this, but I feel the same way about Ava's biological family and get the same stupid comments from my family as yours was saying....I know that most of the time they're trying to protect us or are uneducated, but sometimes...ugh.
I haven't heard of the G diapers, but I'm on my way to check them out.
We are clothing. I liked the Kushies Ultra diapers WITH THE LINERS. I put a liner in and most of the time there's very little poop on the diaper. The liner can be flushed (but we have a septic tank so we have to bag the liners and toss them, but we stick them in the diaper pail...still less mess and no plastic except the diaper pail bag.
HOWEVER right now we are doing lots of disposable because Ava is so small that the NB Kushies are prone to leak from the legs. Soon, though. And now, if I watch her closely.
Good luck!!
I wish I could meet Lucky's biological mother. I secretly keep hoping I'll bump into her, considering we live in the same town...no such luck. I just want to be able to tell him that I've met her.
LOL about the diaper conundrum. I would love to use the cloth diapers too, but not for the stinky diapers.
There's also a new trend that beagle mentioned called "elimination control" or something like that. Hilarious! But really, most people in other countries don't use diapers as long as we do for babies in the US.
Hi - delurking for a bit to give you a blog site. http://dreawd.blogspot.com/
I read this blog and she talks a lot about cloth diapers (has both of her kids in them) You may have to search her blog if she hasn't mentioned them recently, but I think you'll find some good info. Congratulations on your beautiful little girl :)
ok I know nothing about Cloth Diapers. :)
but I wanted to say that the way you are with wanting to be in touch with A is so inspiring to me. I love that you know that even as Lily grows up that her past is your past too. It's really wonderful.
We actually recently started using cloth diapers part time. I use them during the day, while we are home. We use www.greenacredesigns.com
I love how much money we have saved and I love that we are doing something good for the environment.
As for the poop, Joey usually only poops once a day (he is 15 months), and we dump most of it into the toilet, so it's not in our washing machine.
I never thought I would be using cloth diapers, but once you start, it's great!
Your little girl is just beautiful.
~Angela
Sorry I'm late to the discussion, as I'm a cloth diaper user. I use Fuzzi Bunz with a flushable liner. I think they're fun and cute and not a lot more trouble than disposable if you don't mind the extra laundry. I have heard the hot water v. landfill argument, and I have to say the logic of hot water being worse than throwing a giant bag EVERY week into a landfill for two years eludes me. Some people wash in cold and hang them dry, saying the sun is a natural disinfectant. We have an energy efficient washer and use biodegradable detergent. Flushing the poo sends it to the same place as grown up poo so again I'm thinking that's better than the landfill. BUT... there are many good reasons not to use cloth. If you are sensitive to the smell of pee or if your child has dainty thighs it might not be a good fit. I've heard GREAT things about GDiapers. Good luck with whatever you choose, I would say at least give cloth a try.
Hi - I just ran across your blog last night. We have two kids, both of whom wore cloth diapers. We love them. We spent a few hundred dollars on two sizes of 3 dozen diapers, wraps, etc. But for two kids, that's priceless! Yes, we still use disposable when we go out, b/c they take up less space in the diaper bag. But I can't stand the way the pee smells in the chemical diapers. As for poopy, we dump in the toilet and scrap it "clean" with a (for potty use only) spatchela, put in a water resistant bag in a plastic trash can, and wash every 2-3 days with cold and then hot water. Comes out clean every time. The hot water and detergent kill anything in the washer, so I wouldn't give that a second thought. And given enough time, she'll have poopy clothes or sheets to wash from a blow out and you'll have to launder those anyway. Finally, to make this long comment longer, I must add that my ds potty trained at 2-1/2 yrs. My dd was 3 mo old at the time and I said "never again". We started EC with her and haven't looked back. I can't begin to say how rewarding it is to have your infant pooping in a little potty! No bottom or diaper to clean. She is now 19 mo and goes to the potty on her own. And no, we don't have a messy house.
Post a Comment