Saturday, January 26, 2008

I need parenting help ASAP. :)

Lily, who up until now has been a world-class napper, is all of the sudden skipping naps. She's just learned to sit up in her crib, so she'll sit back there for an hour or more and not nap. She gets SO tired, which lets me know for sure it's not that she's ready to give up a nap. She yawns and rubs her face and sucks her thumb, but she sits back there and won't lay down. It got to the point yesterday where she fell ASLEEP sitting up. It was the cutest thing ever - she had the crib bumper flower pattern on her forehead because she had slumped forward onto the bumpers. But, it was also the most frustrating thing because she needed to sleep and wouldn't lay down. Is there anything I can do in this situation? Will it just take her a few days to figure out how to lay back down? Isn't it funny how once you get one thing down to a science, something else pops up? :) Literally for us in this case!
I'm not sure if this matters, either, but I think she may be getting her top front teeth in. I really don't want to start any bad habits as far as going in when I need to leave her alone, so any advice would be fantastic!! I've googled it and can't find anything at all about it, so I'm taking that to mean it's not a long-term problem:)

10 comments:

Michelle said...

The teeth and the sitting up in the crib probably have a lot to do with it! Advice? I don't have much--but I would keep the nap thing consistent, teeting meds may help soothe the pain--if I remember, it hurts more when they lay down...if she's a car ride sleeper, it may be time to hop in the car!! GOOD LUCK!

Melissa :) said...

She's way too young to stop naps. She'll nap for many more years before those come to a halt. And you are absolutely right - yawning, rubbing eyes & sucking - she's tired. Sooooo cute when they do that though. Not so cute when they refuse to sleep!

I'm sure, like Michelle said, her teeth coming in have a lot to do with it. That and some independence. :) I'd try giving her some Advil before bedtime & maybe that'll help. Keep your routine & keep the schedule. She'll fall back into napping. :)

Did you take a photo of her all slumped over? That sounds so cute & funny! Oh little Lil, you're growing up too fast!!

Randi said...

I have had the EXACT same problem with Isaac! Once he learned to sit up and especially stand in his crib, he was just too excited to sleep. He usually wouldn't cry, he would just be happily playing, and doing laps around the crib. :) Very cute, but he has had some days where he just didn't get a nap at all. He also has fallen asleep a few times sitting up and slumped over!! I have been leaving him in his crib for the whole "nap time" anyway, and he is beginning to learn that he NEEDS to sleep during that time, and he can play when he wakes up. Hope this helps....at least you know you're not alone. :)

Jess said...

Oooh, the nap fighting! Ava fights it sometimes, too, but usually if you throw some toys in there and let her play, she'll go to sleep on her own.

If you get her almost ready to fall asleep as you're holding her and rocking her, like after a warm bottle, would that help? I'm sure you've probably tried the warm bottle and rocking, though.

Like some of the others said, it might be the teeth bothering her, too.

I hope something works soon!! Nothing more frustrating than a sleepless baby!!

TeamWinks said...

We had this issue too, and we chalked it up to teething. We gave Lucky teething tablets and some Motrin. Then, we waited it out. So, guess that's not much advice at all.

Barely Sane said...

Monkey girl went through the same stage... and then again when she figured out how to stand.... and then again when she could actually walk. Crib toys seemed to solve the issue.

At Lily's stage, we put toys down low so she could lay on her back and press them with her feet. I did it for her a few times and she seemed content to lay down rather than sit up. When I would check on her later, she would be asleep on her back, with her feet on the toys.

As for the teething, it was horrible for us. The absolute only thing that helps is the infant motrin (lasts longer than the tylenol) and orajel for the instant relief. Oh, and before any of her actual teeth cut, we gave her freezies still in the plastic. Now however, she'll just chew thru them.

Yeah So said...

I agree, it's probably the teeth. I would put Orajel in his mouth, put classical music on, and maybe give him milk and just let him sit or stand in the crib quietly - eventually he fell back asleep.

Missy said...

Oh, Mags did this. She learned to pull up but didn't know how to get back down. Silly girls. I would go up there and lie her back down and she would jump back up before I was even out of the room. Finally she figured it out and things got back to normal.

All kids go on nap strikes from time to time. I call these Showdowns at the Naptime Corall and Mommy must always be the cowgirl who wins. Just keep putting her down at her regular scheduled naptimes and usually it takes about a week. If she fusses at you the whole time, too bad so sad. A week of it, and she will be back on schedule. She shouldn't be ready to drop her pm nap till she is at least 15 mos old. I kept mine going till 18mos or later because I was in no hurry to go to one nap.

And yes - drug the girl. If you suspect teeth, give her some medicine - if you sweet baby comes back in 30 minutes, then you'll know that was it. Hylands Teeth Tablets also work wonders and are homeopathic so you can give plenty. You can get them at any drug store.

:)

Esther Noelle said...

Great that you blogged about this! Like someone else said, I've been giving him a warm bottle before his afternoon nap and that does seem to make a difference! I guess I'll be incorporating it into our routine from now on! Ugh, this teething thing is no good! And Robby now is standing up in his crib crying when he won't sleep! Ugh! But I know he CAN get back down so I wait and let him do it himself. But we have had some harrrrd days!

Marthavmuffin said...

Routine routine routine...my girl will often skip naps at daycare but NEVER at home. She is older so she is on only one nap a day, but we are so structured...We go up to change a diaper and while on the changing table we give her her Lovey or Yaddy, and she holds it and sucks her two middle fingers. Then we go to our room for a short story = Good night Moon or the The good night book, then to the crib!

And I swear by Highlands teething tablets.