This is a post I've saved and edited and reworked about a million times. I've wanted to post it and then felt like it wasn't articulate. And that it didn't capture the intensity of the emotion I feel. I know now that there's no way to really capture the intensity of emotion - especially when it comes to infertility, adoption, parenting, etc, so I'm just going to post this and let it go.
There are times I look at Lily and my heart literally feels like it could burst. I am sometimes overpowered by the knowledge that she is my daughter. It takes my breath away and makes me wonder how in the world I could be so blessed to feel so much love for any other person. Being a parent is truly unparallelled. You love with such fierceness -something never experienced in any other relationship. Sometimes when I feel this, though, I instantly think of Autumn. I get to kiss Lily's soft baby cheeks, smooth her curly head, and feel her tiny fingers curling around mine, and there is a sense of sadness and maybe even guilt because I know Autumn must have moments where she would give anything to feel Lily's little head against her chest.
Please don't misunderstand - our adoption was one of the good ones. It was a circumstance where Autumn was very, very certain that she could not parent Lily. I don't want to go into detail more than I have already on this blog, but I know with certainty that Autumn was secure in her decision to place. She had no regrets and told us more than once that she felt God meant Lily for us. Even so, I know she must think of her daily.
Originally we had decided to exchange letters. I send pictures and a letter at least once a month and have yet to hear back from her. I know I've discussed this before on here, but I'll say it again. I know what was said during that intense experience may not have turned out to be best for Autumn once she got home and tried to adjust and create a new reality for herself and her family. But, not one day goes by that I don't think of her and hope for a letter when I check the mailbox.
My whole point here is that I know how lucky and blessed I am. Less than a year ago, I yearned for a baby so much that my entire being ached. And now I have this beautiful little girl who is so happy and who loves and laughs so easily and whom I love with everything I have. But, I can't and will not forget the sacrifice her amazing birth mother made for her. Once in awhile when I get to do the every day, mundane parenting things that occasionally get old (really, how many more loads of laundry do you do once you have a child? It's unreal. :) I remember Autumn and how she probably yearns from time to time just to see or touch our beautiful girl's face. I get re-energized as a mom, and I remember again how fortunate I am to get to dry the tears, kiss the cheeks, and yes, do the stinky laundry.
Like I said, this doesn't feel finished. I don't know how better to say what I feel, so I'm just going to put it out there and hope it says at least a little of what I feel.
Monday, January 7, 2008
Long time coming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
i know exactly how you feel! We have heard from the birthmother but we went for over 2 months where we heard nothing. I still wish we heard from her more but I also respect that they need to get on with their life too. But I check that e-mail account everyday seeing if we have heard anything from her. Words can't express how grateful we are to them and how much love and admiration we have in our hearts for them. That love will never go away
This is such a sweet post.
I can relate to this SO much.
I am still so surprised by that combination of the sadness/guilt mixed in with the tremendous joy and happiness my daughter brings. It is really overwhelming!!!
Thank you for sharing that. I can't imagine the dual joy and pain that is felt all at once, but one day I will. I imagine the birthmom has to distance herself to move on. Thank you for sharing this post.
This is a very sweet, and clearly heartfelt post. You're such a good mama! I hope you hear from Autumn soon.
No worries about not being articulate - what a beautiful post. I can definitely relate. I haven't written a lot about our birth mother, due to a few reasons, however not a day goes by that I don't think about her and pray for her.
I definitely definitely loved this post, and I think it was well said, not at all inarticulate like you thought.
Even though we see Rachel and hear from her and trade pictures and all, I STILL feel that way.
Isn't it funny that at first you (or at least I thought) think a birthmom is someone you have to deal with, but when you actually have that placement and love that child, a birthfamily isn't something to "deal with" they're people you really truly love?
YES! I totally felt that way, Jess. I wondered how in the world I'd "share" parenting with another woman. It's not that way at all. Now, I'd give anything just to hear from her. I'd love to be able to tell her how happy Lily is and how well she's doing. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one:)
I feel the same way. Our little girl tests our patience daily with her demanding nature, but then she smiles and coos and all you can think about is how blessed you are. I often think about her birthmother and am moved to print a few more photos for her next update letter. Our match was also one of the "good ones", but I know she thinks of our girl every day. I hope she knows how much we love and cherish this sweet baby.
What a beautiful tribute to both Autumn and Lilly. Well done!!!
I know you told me before, but what adoption consultant did you use? And were you totally satisfied? tracyruth@yahoo.com
You have a huge heart, katd.
Yes, yes yes!!!
Exactly what I've been thinking lately!!
No clue what to say. I guess our situation is just so monumentally different, but I still want the same things. Very touching post.
The Hubby and I are currently working through the home study at an agency to, hopefully, be selected by a birthfamily and become parents. As we are working through this, I have often wondered if I will feel...guilty...when that day comes. Your post just ministered to my heart today. Thank you!
Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. You story is a beautiful one and you express yourself wonderfully. I look forward to reading more.
Post a Comment