Thursday, February 21, 2008

Where, oh where, have I been?

Doing my taxes, that's where. And it sure did stink. I was under the oh-so-wrong impression that the adoption tax credit was fantastic. HA!! You have to make a certain amount of money in the first place in order to get back even close to the 11K the govn. promises. We only qualified for about 2500, which I will take gladly. But, I can't help think that those of us who make FAR less than the 150K or so needed to get the entire refund back, YET paid the same 25K to adopt that the 150K folks did should maybe get that entire amount back - like the 150K -ers might. But who am I to criticize the government, right? :) Here's what Lily thinks of taxes:



She can't take it, either. :)

This girl is all of the sudden a ball of energy. Remember how she wasn't napping at all? Well, now that's she's crawling like a mad woman, she seems to be sleeping all the time! She wears herself out! It's so true that just when you get used to them doing one thing or being on a certain schedule, they go and change on you. :) Her two front top teeth are slowly coming in, too, and it's hilarious how much their looks change when they get teeth. Someone said to me over the weekend how she's losing her little baby looks, and it's so true. It makes me want to cry on one hand that the time goes so quickly and on the other hand, I'm so proud of this little person I'm raising. She is the biggest ham in the entire world. I will not be surprised if she's a performer of some sort. Here is the face she likes to give the camera:


What a goof ball!!! She squints up her eyes and that little nose and gives the biggest cheese smile ever. It's so funny how quickly they learn how to play the camera. She's babbling up a storm, too. And nothing in the entire world has ever made me feel as good as walking into the room, having her little face light up, and watching her crawl as quickly as she can to me and reach up for me with the biggest smile. That's love, my friends. :)
And finally, let me show you what passes for humor in our house:


Yes, that's beer. Yes, my husband thinks that's hilarious. And yes, I did giggle a little bit. She's just reaching for it with such gusto!! Please don't call Child Protective Services on us - we didn't let her drink it or anything. :)

19 comments:

Jess said...

LOL. I won't call CPS...I was once at a baby shower kegger (yes) and they were letting little toddlers DRINK BEER. Not much, but DUDE. Beer. Toddler. I was like..uhm....let's....uhm....go.

Sorry about the taxes. We've been pretty good on them the last few years with all the medical expenses we can deduct and then this year with the two kids! haha

Next year, though, we'll be spanked again.

Unless we do some more IVF. Ha! Haha! Ha! I slay me.

I know what you mean about losing the baby look. Ava is getting to be such a big girl now! It's sad, like you said, but at the same time, it's cool to see them change!!

Melissa :) said...

Ahhhhhhh she's so stinkin' cute.

Now on to the more important issues...

Can I have one of those "gigglers" on her highchair? Pleaseeeeeeee? Oh wait, I don't drink. Darn. :)

Lani said...

She looks so grown up! Her hair is getting so long too! Too cute! Hmm, i was not aware of that with the tax credit, we haven't done our taxes yet because my husbands company accountants do it and they wait till the last minutes. We also made under 150 so I will be very disappointed if we don't get the full refund, what kind of crap is that!!!!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

You know, I hear Miller helps with naptime ;-).

Just kidding, CPS.

GLouise said...

Okay you are scaring me with the tax talk!!!

You know you can claim the 11k credit over a five year period, right?? So you might only get a 2500 credit this year, but it can carry over year to year if you don't "owe" 11k in taxes this year. Does that make sense?

EEKS! Now I am scared! :-)

Esther Noelle said...

Taxes.... ew, don't remind me! Gotta finish those....

Lily is so cute! Glad to hear she's napping more regularly - Robby's been doing much better at his 2 naps a day too! And he's got one top tooth through and working on the second... funny how alike they are!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's dumb about the taxes. You'd think that people who make $150k don't actually NEED the money as much as people who don't. Like you said, we both paid the same...yet the person who actually makes more money gets it all back? WTF?

Anonymous said...

She is absolutely adorable!

beagle said...

Yes, but will Daddy think it's cute in oh, say 15 years?? LOL

My childhood photo album has at least one beer grabbing and one champagne looking glass raising in my chubby baby hands photo.

It's a classic pose.

katd said...

Don't even start me thinking about the teen years. I'm terrified because she's already got sass:)

LL said...

She is such a beautiful baby! Love all of the picutres!

From what I understand about the tax credit is that you do get the full amount no matter what your salary is. Depending on how much taxes you paid for this year will depend on how much credit you will get back for this year. You will have five years to get the full credit back. I hope this makes sense. So for those who make $150k+ they will most likely get the full amount this year because they probably paid close to $20,000 in taxes. But then they are done. But let's say a family only paid $8,000 in taxes then they may just get $2,500 this year but then next year they will get another tax credit and so on and so on until the full amount is paid...does this make sense? Hope this helps!

I am sure you have a headache after dealing with taxes all day but best wishes and again Lily is a beauty!

Michelle said...

We are on year three of getting our adoption expenses back on our taxes...the deal is that you can't get back more than you paid in taxes in any given year (I think, I don't know, I let TurboTax do all the work).

We have a great collection of kidddie beer pictures too. And MAM now identifies anything in a glass bottle as wine. I don't know how she picked that up!

Yeah So said...

Ah yes, the beer bottle pics. My dad actually "plays" the bottle by blowing into the top of an empty one. He blows a little tune and seamonkey dances - and then we have him try to blow in the bottle - it's hysterical.

I know what you mean about mixed feelings about them losing their baby looks - exciting and sad at the same time.

Minnie said...

Wow. I can just imagine how miserable filing taxes was for you with the adoption credit.

Maybe you should have had the beer.

Natalie said...

Found your blog today - congratulations on your happy ending to your adoption road. Lily is so beautiful!

Hubby and I are new on the waiting list and we live in South Africa.

Will definitely be back to pop in

hope548 said...

She's such a doll!

It makes me very sad to know you don't necessarily get the entire tax credit! We were counting on that one of these days!

TeamWinks said...

That beer would find itself on the floor in a thousand pieces if placed in front of Lucky! :-)

She does look more like a toddler now than a little baby. So fast it happens.

We just turned our taxes into the accountant today. Wish us luck!

Stilla Momma said...

What a BEAUTY...a sweet, drunk, alcoholic beauty :)

She is getting so big!

BekkiBoo aka tubelessstl said...

hehehe... I am going to post pictures of J while I was at the bowling alley with DH and her. J was given a bud light bottle to play with (empty of course) and we got a few pictures of it. Mind you, we were very careful that she did not put the bottle on her lips nor held it without help (fear of breaking glass).

FUN