Monday, March 10, 2008

Hospital Woes

You may recall way back when after Lily's birth how difficult our experience was with the hospital where she was born. We were treated very badly by the hospital staff (they wouldn't let us see her because we weren't her "parents" even though the papers had been signed, they didn't give us any of the freebies they give other moms, they wouldn't dismiss Lily from the hospital until all of their "mothers" had been checked out...so many things happened that I don't even want to get started again because it makes me crazy to even think of it again) and a month or two after her birth, we were double charged for her birth. Now, our agency requires that you pay every single bit of the medical bills before you leave the state. I have receipts. Everything was paid for. Our insurance company was also billed and they ended up picking up Lily's portion of the hospital bill, so EIGHT months ago, we should've gotten nearly $450 back from the hospital. We weren't told that. Instead, in November, the hospital called us telling us we were about to be turned over to a collection agency because we hadn't paid our bill. WHAT? Um...you mean all the receipts I have in my possession appeared out of thin air? So, we've been in touch with the agency and with the hospital. The hospital emailed me in Jan. telling me they had everything figured out and that our check would be arriving. It's now mid March. I've emailed and called until I'm blue in the face and our contact says her hands are tied. As a credit to our fantastic agency, they are furious and are doing all they can to help us. How can this happen? If they have admitted, in writing, that they owe us money, how do we not have the check yet? We're considering contacting a lawyer, but that would probably cost nearly what we're owed. And it's really not about the money. Heaven knows, that's a drop in the bucket after what the adoption ended up costing, but it's the principle of the thing. We had to pay every single cent before we were cleared to return home. We were treated horribly and this is just the icing on the cake. Truly there's a part of me that wants to sue the pants off of them for this. Maybe they could pick up the entire tab for our next adoption. :) Excuse the vent, but after speaking yet again to our agency contact, I'm beyond frustrated with this. THIS is why our health care system needs overhauled!!! ***stepping off soap box now***

13 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Maybe you could get a local consumer advocate to contact the hospital on your behalf? Like a reporter for TV or a newspaper that looks for human interest stories just like this. I would think the hospital wouldn't want this kind of publicity.

Sorry you're dealing with this hassle.

Rachel said...

How frustrating! I had no idea you were still experiencing such problems :( I like Lori's idea about getting the media involved. Where we live (MN), we'll see human interest stories nearly every single night where a news reporter is trying to make the public aware of an issue and interviews a person going through that particular issue. I'll be praying that this gets resolved!

Rachel said...

How frustrating! Does the hospital have a patient advocate?

I had an awful time with the hospital where I went after my miscarriage. I found out that dealing with things through traditional means got me no where. I finally found out about the advocate and they put me in touch with higher ups that could do something. Amazingly my issue got resolved much more quickly that way.

Jess said...

Ugh. It makes my skin crawl remembering your stories.

We had a bad experience with a hosptial (in Hilton Head) that charged us over $200 for an HCG draw AND treated us very poorly...and they wouldn't budge. We ended up paying it but I hated to out of principle, so I feel your pain.

There should be like a customer care center at the hospital...have you tried them?

Courtney said...

Preach it sister!

Rachel said...

ugh!!! I remember being irrate after reading how they treated you at the hospital! And now this is beyond unacceptable :-) I'm sorry!!

Anonymous said...

Ugh...how incredibly frustrating...(understatement of the century, right?)

I agree with Lori-those news stations have a way with solving the problems-the hospital really wouldn't like the bad pr that could potentially come out of a story like this hitting the news. Good luck to you!

Yeah So said...

I would start a letter campaign. First write to the president and ceo of the hospital, and the patient advocate (every hospital has one). Then start with governmental agencies - Department of Health, Attorney General.

Also, if you paid with credit cards - maybe the credit card company can do something to help?

Minnie said...

I remember you posting about your experience in the hospital, and was livid for you.

I'd like to suggest something a bit unorthodox, but 95% of the time successful.

Contact the hospital and inform them that you'll be contacting the media. Period. End of story.

Tell your contact that you can appreciate that her hands are tied, however, maybe she/he too would benefit from some pressure on the hospital, since it's in need of some reapir.

It's a highly effective tool, and in my experience more effective than an attorney sometimes.

GLouise said...

What a total pain!!!!!

Is this a nonprofit hospital or private hospital?

I would send a letter to their president/ceo, carbon copy send it to their legal team, and state exactly what you want, when you need the check (asap, obviously), and what you will do if you don't get it in x weeks. Going to the media, making a formal complaint about them to the state health dept., etc.

Yoka said...

That really sucks. I can imagine how frustrating that must be. I hope they send you the check soon.

Esther Noelle said...

That sounds absolutely frustrating!!! I am so sorry! I get so upset about things like that too - it's the principle of the matter!!! Grr!

Missy said...

Can you just sue them in small claims court? Won't cost you anything.