Lily is finally standing up! This girl is just her own person. Every single thing with her developmentally has been on her own time. And no amount of persuading could coax her into doing anything until she was ready. So this morning, I walk into the living room after pouring my first cup of coffee and there she is just standing up next to the couch with BARELY even a finger on it. And she looked up at me like, "So what? I've been doing this forever." She is too much.
We're also down to two bottles a day - one in the morning and one at night. And she's way more into adult food than baby food, so we're pretty much away from baby food, too. But it's tough to find things to feed her that are easy and nutritious.
As for the nap dept, she's such a nut. She goes days and days on a nap strike, learns to stand up by herself, and is now sleeping two two hour naps a day. The biggest and best lesson I've learned about motherhood thus far is flexibility.
It's far enough past Lily's birthday, too, that I'm afraid we won't hear from Autumn. I was hoping against hope that she'd drop a note for her birthday, and to be totally honest, it makes me a little sad for Lily that she didn't. But, I know the lack of contact is her choice, and I have to respect that. It does make me sad, though.
To finish up this post of randomness, a question for any of you who have ever had the pleasure of trimming a one year old's fingernails. How in the world did you manage to do it and get out alive? :)
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
We have liftoff and other musings
Posted by
katd
at
6:13 PM
Labels: birth mothers, Lily, parenting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


17 comments:
Yeah Lily, what a big girl standing up! And holey naps, 2 2 hour naps, Izzy hasn't done that since she was like 4 months! That is great!!!
I am sorry you haven't heard from A, I know exactly how you feel.
As far as the nails go, I have good luck with the small little ones clippers, we got them free with mylicon type drops or something and I sit her on my lap and put on one of her favorite TV shows and normally I can get them all done. Toe nails are much harder because her feet are VERY ticklish!
If she's standing up today, she'll be tearing around the house in no time!! As far as the nail clippings go, we've done different things at different times. Lately, it's been a two-person job-Daddy holds and I clip. For toenails, we give her something to hold/play with, like stickers. I've also been known to give her candy to hold with one hand while I clip the other. Mother of the year, I know.
Yeah Lily! I wonder if Autumn will be in contact in her own time. It may still be too soon for her to be able to contact you. It could change, and the fact that you are open to that is good.
Can't help you with the fingernails, but I do understand your sadness about Autumn.
My son just had his 5th birthday, and we haven't heard from his birthmom for quite a while. I thought surely that day would bring an email.
I am sad.
Standing up, huh? Wowza!!
I hear you on the flexibility. Oh.my.gosh. Tonight. The flexibility. It's 1:30 and our girl is screaming upstairs. Oh.My.Gosh.
As for the fingernails, I either have Travis hogtie her, OR I sit with her standing between my legs and sing "AvaAvaAvaAva" to her and try to distract her.
That's the best I have. lol
I guess all that standing tired her out? LOL.
As for nail clipping . . . my SIL just said the other day that she can finally trim my nephew's and he's about to turn FIVE!
Flexibility . . . oh man . . . that will be stretch for me. (Am I punny today or what?)
I haven't even mastered "patience" yet.
I'm sorry Autumn has been out of contact. That's so hard on both sides.
I wait until they are asleep to clip the nails. It is so much easier then!
Way to go Lily!!! Don't they just grow up WAY too fast.
That's funny how it all changes from day to day! How wonderful.
Sorry about Autumn. I wish I had advice for you, but I don't. The important thing for Lily is for her to know that you made the effort.
LG isn't a year yet, but I always trim his while he is asleep or eating.
lol!
Lily is a sweetie!
I chop Alayna's nails when she is close to sleep or even in the bathtub.
Contrary to popular opinion, it is ok for adoptive parents to grieve too..and have expectations in the relationship. What you do with what is reality (and the lack of contact from Autumn) is what I will pray for :)
*hug*
We had our younger daughter's birthmother 'go to Mexico' and after I learned that news, I hung up the phone and tried to process. This time last year we were on the phone for hours, and I spent so much time trying to work on our relationship to make things better for THE FUTURE. But it is totally common for birthmothers to take some time. I recently heard that they may resuface after 5 years - seems to be the magic number. I felt sad too. For myself and for my daughter J. You just have to respect her decision and be there for her when and if she returns.
Go Lily! Big girl! We want to see a photo of this! :-)
Re: Autumn. Feel free to email me privately, but I was wondering if she had a direct way to contact u, or if she had to go thru the agency? Let's chat!
Oh my gosh. I wrap a leg around them and hold thier hands as tight as i can. If I can I ask someone else to hold one hand. And the baby is just looking for the phone to call CPS the whole time.
You should see me pick a nose. I have gotten that one down to an artform!!
Let me tell you one of my favorite baby foods - frozen peas. Right out of the freezer. When they are still frozen they taste so yummy and sweet! Also egg, the new Kraft cheese crumbles, hummous on crackers, and canned beets. Let me know if you need any other suggestions.
What a fun milestone! I'm looking forward to reading more of her mobile antics.
Yay for Lily for standing up! Whoohooo!!! You go girl! Nothing will ever be the same for her mom though.
2 two hour naps! Wow! Jealous over here!
Sorry to hear about A not calling. It would have been nice, but it was probably a really tough day for her. She might have stayed away out of respect for you and your family though.
I clip nails when my son is asleep. Thats exciting about Lily standing. Maybe she will be walking soon, huh?
Post a Comment