We have had quite a time here lately. We spent a great deal of time outside over the weekend, so on Sunday when we noticed two little bumps on Lily's legs, we assumed she got a few mosquito bites. When we got up on Monday morning, though, you can't believe what her little legs looked like. The bites were both swollen to the size of quarters at least, and on little bitty legs, that's pretty big. One had streaks of red branching out from it and the other was yellow in the center surrounded by red. Both of them were hot to the touch and she'd pull away if we tried to touch them. I. FREAKED. OUT. We immediately called our pediatrician, who was out due to the holiday, of course. But we left a message on the emergency line and he called back right away. And sent us to the immediate care center. I called my mom crying; I was just so worried about her. And at times like this, I hate so much that we don't live near my mom!
We scooted on over to the immediate care center and waited. And waited. It lifted my spirits a bit that Lily flirted with the entire waiting room. She won't let a few bites get her down. No way:) She was smiling and chatting people up. What a ham! We finally saw the doctor and he examined her and told us they were spider bites. He said on kids her size, the poison can sometimes really get to them even if it's a spider that wouldn't really impact us. The red lines branching out from the bites was the poison filtering into her veins. I wanted to cry. I felt SO guilty. Even though we have our house sprayed very regularly, and I imagine she got them crawling around in the grass or sitting on the blanket outside over the weekend - and what am I going to do? Never let her outside? Nope. But I still felt bad; I hated seeing those things on my baby's legs! So this week has been full of leg checks, prednisone and antibiotic treatments, and a very, very thankful mom:) This may sound corny, but it hit me once again how lucky we are to be able to just take her into the doctor when she needs it. We're not wealthy by American standards, but that luxury alone makes us wealthy by the world's.




17 comments:
Wow. What a scare!
It's funny that she was flirting in the waiting room. Kids are awesome.
I liked that you said this: 'We're not wealthy by American standards, but that luxury alone makes us wealthy by the world's."
So true.
That must have been pretty scarry! Glad she is ok now.
Our children look so much alike it amazes me!
Oh my goodness! I'm glad that she's doing better now. I had a similar thing. Monday I was working outside at the woodpile, came in and had bug bites. Then I noticed one on my ankle on Tuesday: By Tuesday night it was all swollen and the bite was the size of a nickel raised, with a yellowed edge, same red veining. I out stuff on it and took benadryl. It's better now.
How scary! We certainly are lucky to have doctors and health care readily available. I'm glad she's doing better now.
I learned the don't tell thing early with my sister (she's 15 now). I would say maybe we can do something, or such and such will happen and then it wouldn't and she would be so, so upset. I now know don't say anything until it's guaranteed.
I would have freaked out too. Good thing is you 'caught' them in time before more speading occurred! Good mommy! :)
Ok, I'm cracking up looking at her hair. Soooooooooooooooo cute. It's coming - look out! Absolutely adorable.
I had someone mention to me about "MixedChicks" hair products - I haven't googled it yet but thought I'd toss it your way. They say it's really good but quite pricey.?.? So there ya go. :)
Oh, that would be awful! Glad that it hasn't affected Lily's sunny disposition!
By the way, what do you use to keep her hair so beautiful? I'm trying to find the right product for Olivia's hair.
Oh wow Miss Lily, that was some scare you gave your momma!! I am so glad you are ok.
I love this post, I can feel the love you have for that little girl all the way over here :)
How scary. I am glad she is ok.
SCARY indeed!! I'm glad she's ok!
I had one of those moments, too, with Ava this week...thinking how lucky we were to be VACATIONING when so many in the world can barely make ends meet. Talk about spoiled!! :p
I laugh every time I see pics of your girl! She's SO Ava!! She's starting to walk behind her push toy, too....and getting lean. They look like little girls!!
That is scary, glad it was something that could be taken care of. We were working in our yard the other day and I found a brown recluse spider and that freaked me out!
Yikes! Glad you're both okay!
Sorry this happened to your sweetie! I have self-diagnosed after reading this blog because I got a bite last weekend & it's itched like crazy & is more red than a mosquito bite...ouch!
Poor Lily! I had no idea spider bites could do such a thing. Good to know!
She really is getting big and thinning out a ton!!! Izzy has the same lion. She would run it all around the house before she was walking on her own
Glad all is well now. She's so CUTE!
Yes, it is great to have medical insurance, we are very blessed too.
Alyson LID 01/27/06 IA China
NCLM
scary! i'm so glad she's doing better. and look at her up and walking! too too cute!
Poor Lily!!! What a scary thing to have happened...so glad that she is getting better!
I bet everyone that came into contact with her in the waiting room is still talking about the beautiful girl that they saw/met.
glad she is ok and you are ok too. hehe. Those pictures of her pushing the cart are so cute. Growing up so fast.
GASP.
Sorry :(
We have some friends whose little girl Anna is deathly allergic to fire ants. They had to move from Texas to California because of it. Can you imagine?
OK right as I am typing this thinking about fire ants and spiders something just flew into my hair! AAHHHHHHHH!
I just killed it. Hard. On behalf of Lilly and Anna. TAKE THAT!
Post a Comment