Friday, June 27, 2008

15 month check up - this is why parenting is so hard

We had Lily's 15 month check up today. She is 25 lbs (same weight since 9 months! :) and she is far ahead of the cognitive norms. We had to laugh when the dr asked us if she says more than 5 words:) She's a chatter box!

However, she still isn't walking. And he wasn't concerned about that until he checked her legs. He said her not walking worries him now because she's lacking muscle tone in her legs. It's not that she's not strong because she can stand and she cruises around our furniture. But, he recommended that we contact our local first steps office to have a therapist see her. I'm not going to lie, even typing that here, I feel teary again. I am sure it's nothing and I know so many parents go through so much worse with their children, but this is my baby. And it hurts my heart that there's something wrong with her beautiful legs. I need to keep it in perspective and feel good that we can get her check out and have some therapy to get her moving. And our doctor said it could also just be that she's not interested, but he just doesn't want her to miss a "developmental window." If you ask me, I'm still sure that it's just that she's not interested. She does what she wants when she wants to - from day one. She had zero interest in solid foods until she decided she wanted them and she crawled very late because she was too busy reading her books and doing more learning-centered activities. But I know it won't hurt to have a little physical therapy. I made sure with the center that this isn't something that would follow her through school because they told me they have to create a "file" for her. As a former teacher, I know all to well that once kids are labeled with any sort of disability, it's very tough to break out of that, unfortunately.

I'm going to finish with the other high note; she didn't cry even a little through her TB test! What a big girl:) Okay, so she howled like a crazy woman during the other two shots, but she braved that TB test like a champ! :) Thanks in advance for reading. I always know I can come here and vent and get my feelings out and feel supported by you guys.

**Update:  I've been researching babies with poor leg muscle tone like crazy and it seems to be really common.  In fact, the more I research, Lily isn't even a late walker yet - not until 18 months do they deem them late.  So, I'm thinking this is hopefully nothing at all and that the PT will just tell us she'll do it when she's darn well ready! :)

19 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

It's so hard watching them get shots, and they look at you as if to say, "WHY ARE YOU LETTING THEM STAB ME, MAMA!?"

I bet you're right about her walking on HER schedule. And it's also wise to take advantage of the resources available.

It IS hard. And you're totally up to it!

Lisa said...

Oh, that's hard. I'll bet, though, that she's one of those kids who is just patiently enjoying what she is doing and one day, she'll surprise you by walking confidently all the way across the room. She's just happy with "furniture cruising" for now.

Jessica White said...

As you said, she's probably just not interested in walking and will do it on her schedule. I'm sure the PT won't hurt at all though. I'll be thinking about you guys and praying for you.

I remember going with my mom for my sister's shots and my sister just looking at us and her eyes welling up with tears when they gave her shots. Poor babies: All the things they have to suffer through.

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is always hard to hear...Big hugs for you and Miss L!!

Anonymous said...

My 14 1/2 month old daughter was just evaluated by a physical therapist per her pediatrician's recommendation, due to her not walking (or standing unassisted - she does cruise).

The PT said that she has low muscle tone in her legs, and very flexible joints, and those things may contribute to her being a late walker. However she was not concerned AT ALL. She gave us some exercises and things to try at home, but said that based on what she saw our daughter do during the evaluation there was no physical issue that she needed therpay for, and that she just has a cautious personality and will do it on her own time. She said that they don't get very concerned until it hits 18 months (like you mentioned).

Also, she said something else that made sense. She said that older babies are actually more hesitant to just "try" walking - they're more likely to wait until they really feel comfortable, because they have the cognitive abilities to think through the consequences more (if I try, I could fall - I'll just crawl/cruise because that's safer). She said that an 11-12 month old baby would be more apt to just throw it all out there and try without thinking about it.

Jess said...

Well you KNOW that Ava is still not walking. And thought he doc has mentioned it, I'm not sweating it yet. I didn't walk till 14 months (not that that is a guide for HER) but ALSO....Ava's birthdad and birthbrother didn't walk till 15 months. And they walk FINE now!! lol!

I'd bet the PT says all is well. Babies just do things differently (as you know!).

Good luck! Sorry about the stress, though!!

Lani said...

I can totally relate to what you are going through. I am dreading the 18 month check up not for walking but for talking. Izzy says fewer words than I know she should. The dr said at 18 months she should have 15 and she isn't even close right now so I am sure they will be recommending early intervetion or something for talking.

Being a mom makes us so much more sensitive, and such a worrier! I am sure Lily will be just fine.

Michelle said...

I bet Lily will start walking around when she's good and ready. Hard to hear those words though--hope the PT reconfirms that all is really fine:)

Rachel said...

It's funny you posted this today because my husband and I were just talking about our friend's daughter yesterday. She didn't take her first steps until 15 months. She never cruised or anything. Anyway, she is 2.5 today and walks fine.

We use to work closely with 1st Steps in my old job, they are great.

Betsy said...

Hey, I found you doing google searches for adoption blogs but had to comment when I saw this post. My youngest son did not take his first steps until 17 months and was not choosing to walk over crawling until 19. (2 weeks ago!). I didn't panic b/c he's my 3rd and my Dr. is very laid back. Don't let other people shake you up either. I just firmly told them that his Dr. was not worried and them made some joke about how laid back he was (true).
Promise I'm not a stalker, just hoping to adopt one day!

Deb said...

She'll probably start when she's ready just like you said. Remember you're her mom and you know her better then any doctor. You know how she learns and does things.

Barely Sane said...

My little sister didn't walk until 18 mos. and she never really crawled either. She just kinda of sat in the middle of the room and pointed to things that me & my other sister would get.

Then one day, she stood up and walked like she had been doing it forever.

But still, if you have the access to resources that could help just in case, then go for it. Better safe than sorry and hopefully, it will ease any nagging fears.

PS: shots suck!

Stilla Momma said...

Alayna just started walking at 16 months. She is running now. I know it is hard to deal with now, but this really is temporary. She WILL walk. In her own timing...

*hug*
Easier said than done...I worried until my daughter walked. Par for the course huh? :)

Donna said...

I was going to tell you that Sophie Lu (http://waitingforsophie.blogspot.com/) didn't walk until she was 18 months old and look at her now!

Our Gwen was 15 months old when we adopted her and she was pretty unsteady on her feet. But she's four years old now and riding her brand new bike!

Try not to worry. I'm sure it's all going to be fine.

:)

Donna

LL said...

My niece took FOREVER to walk...she kinda did kind of a crab walk crawl for the longest time. She was so fast with the crawling i just don't think she thought she needed to walk. PT will only help so best wishes and keep us updated.

Kir said...

I know your little Lily will walk when she's ready. I agree that cognitively she might be thinking, "I might fall" and she is just waiting until she's sure she won't. Babies are smart. :)

you're doing a great job , you're such a good momma!!

Missy said...

A lot of times when they are chatty kathys they walk slower. Boys are often super mobile, but they talk less. And vice versa.

Of course Mags didn't talk OR walk at 15 months...and Ike is following her lead. 15 months today and he has yet to take a step! But he will be at the top of the stairs before you noticed he was even gone!

Missy said...

ps - more on that - I have been told that they sometimes focus on one area of development at a time. So if they are mentally focusing on language acquisition, gross motor skills take a back seat. That could be the issue with Lily.

Missy said...

And looking at those pix...obviously Miss Lily is too focussed on CUTENESS to be bothered with walking. Man, she is so gorgeous.

My son and your daughter could make us some pretty grandbabies...either son, take your pick. Maybe you'd want Shep because he did walk at 12 mos (the ONLY one who did!!)