Thursday, June 19, 2008

Part-Time Jobs and Technorati ??s

My husband works as an adjunct professor, which means he makes all of his money in the fall and spring.  So here we are in early summer, and I'm thinking, "What happened to all of our income?"  :)  It's not that extreme, really, but with both of us home so much,  I'm really kind of wanting to pursue some sort of part time work.  In a perfect world, it would be something I could do from home (hello get rich quick schemes:) and that would use my degree/talents, which is a Masters in English.  I'm at a total loss, though.  Do any of you work from home or have outside part time jobs? Do you enjoy getting out and making some money or do you feel pulled from home?  I love being an at home parent, but with Lily getting older and with my husband home so much, I feel like I have some time to do something extra.  Any input is much appreciated. 

ALSO, does anyone use technorati?  Someone told me to list the blog on it, but I dont' "get" it at all. :)  I'm so bad!  Is it to drive more traffic to the blog?  Again, help a girl out. :)

What a wierdo post! :)

9 comments:

Jessica White said...

I completely agree with you about the part time job, and I already have a full time job. My B.S. is in English and I would love to go get my master's, but I'm already too educated for my job, and not using that degree. I would love to just have a job using my degree! :-)

The only thing I can think of is possibly freelancing...maybe for your local paper.

How was your trip?

Melba said...

I think getting a part time job is an excellent idea! My sincere hope when the time finally comes for me to be a mom is that I can be at home most of the time, but still have one or two days where I'm out in the world with other adults.

As for at home jobs...you are a blogger and I've recently seen several jobs for blog writers. It's at least worth a google search and that would certainly use your degree! :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Melba

katd said...

These are both great ideas. I've googled blog writing before and it's scary how many jobs there are where you have to PAY them to start working. That's not my cup of tea:)

Jess, my trip was great; thanks for asking! It was altogether too short! :)

Deb said...

Pay per Post does not require you to pay to get started. I just started it but have only posted once. There is a button on my side bar if you're interested.

I'm looking for something to do from home but haven't had much luck yet. I've got a couple months before I have to bring in more $$.

mMc said...

a friend of mine does part time book editing from home. she works as much or as little as she wants...
i think she started out calling a bunch of random very small publishing houses.

hope that helps!

Jess said...

I love the ideas people are coming up with...editing and freelance!

Maybe someone needs an adoption column or even just article written?

OR tutoring is my other thought. I know that school is out for the summer, but surely SOME people are still in college, right?

Anonymous said...

There are lots of things you could do part time with your skills. You could blog for pay without paying to blog. I like the idea of tutoring or editing.

If you find the perfect get rich quick gig, please let me in on it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Katd! I have an ebay business from home and just love it! Inventory can sometimes be a challenge but most of the time it isn't. We go to a liquidation store in my area and have had great luck with finding inventory there. I paid for my entire adoption with my ebay business and didn't have to finance a dime. Just a thought :)

Laurie

Membership Required said...

I would say tutoring or helping others to learn English. You might also check your local library they might need "readers" for story times.