Tuesday, July 17, 2007

2 down, 1 to go! :)

We had our second post-placement meeting yesterday. It was a total breeze. We were asked questions about bonding and whether or not we had heard anything from Autumn. Our social worker said Lily seems far ahead of most babies her age (of course!), and that she is one of the happiest babies she's ever seen. We think that, but it's very nice to hear a social worker say so:) She also gave us a timeline for finalization. I never thought finalization would be so important to me because from what I hear it's mostly a formality. But, I can't wait! It will be such a special day! Hopefully we'll have a court date in October some time. Our agency requires the baby be at least six months old.

In non-baby related life (is there such thing?), we are starting to consider taking a little vacation in Dec. We really want to go back to Mexico, and I know it's not something that a baby would enjoy. I am SO torn, though, about leaving her. We've been away from her only one night (My husband's 30th birthday), and it was killer! But, we did end up having a great time, and it was so nice to be "responsibility-free" for one night. But, could I do a week? Am I terrible for even considering it this early in her life? Would a shorter time be better? She will be 8 months by then, and I do think it would be so good for our marriage to be able to refocus on each other for a bit. Not that we're in trouble!!! :) Just had to clarify! The beach just sounds soooo good to me right now! I'm off to do a little vacation research online...I'm strange, but I like the planning of a vacation nearly as much as the trip itself :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Happy said...

Katd,

If DI doesn't work, we're thinking about switching agencies. Would you recommend your coordinator?

Anyway, can you email me the info? tracyruth@yahoo.com

Jess said...

I don't think it's a bad thing to take a vaca alone if baby's going to be 8 months! Especially if you have someone you really trust to watch her!

Glad your visit went well!! :)

Lani said...

Congrats on your 2nd visit being completed and having a plan for the finalization.

Don't feel guilty AT ALL about a little break with you and hubby. We are getting ready to go next week to a B&B in Northern MI Wine Country for 2 nights, and Izzy will be with Grandma and Grandpa. I think you are a better parent when you have a little time away to reconnect with each other, at least i am........

GLouise said...

Congrats on one more post-placement visit down.

Yes, by all means, check out that possible vacation! The beach in December just sounds heavenly!

Barely Sane said...

Congrats on getting one step closer to finalizing. I can tell you, it does feel good!!

Vacation? Go for it! DH & I have had a couple of nights here and there w/o Sweet Pea and we've done 2 weekends away. It always helps us reconnect and we come back more in love than ever.

Rachel said...

we LOVE mexico! go every year. I'm praying this year we'll be big and pregnant (Well I will be!) for the trip :-)

I think when we have a baby we'll leave him/her for the first year or two. I don't think it's bad. My sister is the best mom ever and she leaves her kids for trips about once a year. She said it makes her a better mom to have time to herself and with her DH!

And besides at so young she won't even notice you're gone ;-) So go for it!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay for 2 down, 1 to go!!

I think you should go for the vacation! But...I can also see how hard that might be to leave her!

We just started our adoption journey, man, is it overwhelming....all the paperwork.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your second post placement visit!

We, too, struggle with taking time away from the kids for just the two of us. For me the hard part is the leaving-- the moment that you get in the car and wave goodbye-- but then it's OK. I hope you'll be able to enjoy some time as a couple, whether you decide to go to Mexico or not.