I love to read! In elementary school, the only time I got in trouble was when I was caught reading "A Wrinkle in Time" under my desk during Math. :) That being said, I am thrilled to post my first book review for Mother Talk. James Patterson's "Maximum Ride: Saving The World And Other Extreme Sports," is the author's latest young adult novel. Young adult? What? James Patterson, the author of such ADULT novels as "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came A Spider" has also written an exciting, fresh series geared toward kids. Who knew? Well, everyone but me apparently! :) This series has quite a following! I must admit I was hesitant when I started reading. The premise involves a flock of Bird Kids who are trying to save the planet from a mad scientist. Bird kids? Yes, they have bird DNA and can fly. I was never a huge fan of science fiction, but the book is engaging and I can definitely see why it has such a huge and dedicated following.
Before even getting into the novel, I started to do some looking into its appeal. Max, the novel's main character is a 14-year old strong, sassy chick, yet she also demonstrates compassion toward the younger members of the flock. I love it! It can be tough to find strong female characters in young adult novels. I know that's something I looked for when I was choosing novels for my students to read. I taught at an all-girls school and found that the girls always responded best to reading female leads they could identify with. Also, the novel appeals to young people through technology. Max's "love interest," Fang, has a blog. That's right, bloggers, 6 Kids, 12 Wings, and 1 Blog is a place where Fang (and Max occasionally) post updates encouraging kids to become bloggers themselves, gives updates on a possible movie, and on future books.
"Maximum Ride" is, in my opinion, for younger readers. I can't imagine my 15 year old sister-in-law enjoying it, but I know my 11 year old cousins would probably love it. I would caution parents about having younger children read it due to the amount of violence. It's nothing too graphic, but it's there. "Maximum Ride" is full of hip and trendy language that does not really appeal to the older reader. Or am I just not hip? Who knows. But, when dealing with trying to get kids to read, it doesn't really matter if the book appeals to us fogies. What matters is that more than 5 million kids were so excited about the book that they clicked on the website to encourage a movie. Anything that gets kids that excited about reading is okay by me.


4 comments:
Hi. I am just reading your blog for the first time. It's really really wonderful to read about your little girl. My husband and I just recently completed our homestudy and our "scrapbook" and have starting waiting....
Thanks for your blog. I read post after post and it gives me so much hope that someday we will have a little babycakes home in our house too. Can I ask you....what agency did you use? Our placement agency is in Utah too and I have a feeling it could be the same one...? If you feel comfortable saying, of course!
Thanks!
-Mari McD
Hello! Thanks for reading! :) We used A Guardian Angel out of Salt Lake City. I can't rave about them enough! Be sure to come back and visit; I look forward to getting to "know" you through the blog:)
thanks for writing back! we are using an agency in utah too, but not that one. (i would love any advice you might have about working with your agency). i work at an all girls school to :)
Ok, so I follow your blog for the adoption stuff (Nestie). Then I come on here and see your book review. I read the first book in that series years ago, and had loved it! I also had NO IDEA that there were more in a series!!! Thanks for that, I have to go to half.com now and buy more books!
tophersgirl
Post a Comment