Monday, January 14, 2008

Today, I'm just a mom

What an incredible weekend/end of the week last week. I watched our community through blogs and through sites like thenest.com blow up in response to the Tyra show. People sent emails, letters, posted on other sites - it was amazing to see. I'm always, always floored by our ability to unite. It's so rare to find a group of women willing to go to bat for each other without question. We're all joined by this horrible thing, but through it, I've found so many great friends and have been so inspired by each one of you.

In the beginning of our struggle with infertility, our issues really came to define me. I wasn't a wife or a teacher or a daughter or sister, I was a woman battling infertility. Then, I became a prospective adoptive parent. I was searching for an agency, trying to choose ethically, wading through the paperwork and asking questions of myself and of my marriage as to what we could take on as far as health concerns, birth mother drug use, etc. It became all consuming. After Lily, I became an adoptive parent. I read everything I could get my hands on about transracial adoption, parenting adopted children - I worried, I'll be honest with you, about bonding with her at first. I thought all the time about her birth family (and still do), and there was a great deal of guilt that I felt while parenting her. I hoped I'd make the right decisions, and I worried ceaselessly over every minute detail. Don't get me wrong, I was over the moon for her immediately, but so many feelings came along with it.

I have days now where it never even crosses my mind that Lily was adopted. It, in fact, startles me sometimes because I feel like she did come from me. She was a labor of love - though not in the traditional sense. Most days now, I'm just a mom. I'm Lily's mom. I'm not defined by my infertility, even though it's something that will shape how our family is created. I'm not defined by my status as an adoptive parent, though it is something of which I am intensely proud. I'm finding that I have lost the timidity and nervousness with which I parented early on. Maybe all new moms go through this - maybe it has nothing at all to do with adoption. All I know is that I feel finally secure and confident in being Lily's mom. And I love that.

Of course, ask me tomorrow and it could be a whole new ball game. That's how this parenting thing works, isn't? The second you're confident, they throw something new at ya! :)

11 comments:

GLouise said...

Ah, this is so good to read!!!

Jess said...

Ethan just somehow deleted my post with his foot. Dangit. HOW???

Ugh...I was saying that I agree...that while those things are all PART of you and your family, and even things to be proud of (even infertility!), they are not defining you anymore...and that's wonderful!

I feel the same way. For a long time life was ABOUT those things for me...but now it's life WITH those things, not ABOUT.

Yay for you for getting there!

(This rewrite was way more lame than the original. Blame Ethan and his ridiculous notion that he has to be ATTACHED TO ME all the time.)

hope548 said...

Beautiful post. It's so wonderful to read about someone in a similar situation, but ahead of me. Sharing your experience helps those of us still early on in adoption! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts. I'm so glad I read this. It's so clear how deeply in love you are.

Lani said...

You have such a way with words! Very well said! I agree 100%

Yoka said...

Thank you so much for this post. It answers some of the questions I have for our adoption and afterward.

Lisa said...

This is exactly how I feel. I forget, most days, about the adoption journey that brought us to Olivia and just recognize the daily joys and challenges that come with being her Mom. She is just a blessing.

petunia said...

Isn't it wonderful to not think every day about where you are in your cycle? being a mommy makes all of that disappear and all you can remember is them being in your life and how happy you are....
nice post.

mamadiva said...

Wow. You have such a gift for writing, and have stated this so much better than I ever could. Thanks!

This is my first time visiting your blog. I'll be back often!

Missy said...

I was just talking to a friend last night who is having secondary infertility. She wants to adopt, but her husband fears that he won't bond with an adoptive baby.

I just want to shake people like that. I do. Genetics do not make a parent. Heck, worms can reproduce. Holding a precious little creature and feeling the intense need to love and protect it forever - THAT is what makes one "just a mom".

Rachel said...

Since I'm new here, you don't know my story, but yes, I think all moms go through that. At church this past Sunday one of the elders referred to me as LG's mom and it was the first time I realized, yep, I am really his mom, and that will never change.

Although I wasn't adopted, I was raised by my step-mom and consider her and call her "mom". I was always so frustrated when people wanted to know which of us kids were her "real" kids. It is cool now that my parents have been married 20 years, that people have forgotten and I am just her daughter.