I was terrified of what the morning might bring.
I was touched more than I thought possible by a young woman struggling to provide for the two children she was parenting and to make the best decision possible for her, her boys, and the child she was carrying.
I was moved to tears to hear her speak of her love for the baby growing inside her about to be born and how when she saw our profile, she felt we were meant to be the baby's parents.
I wanted so badly to be excited about the impending birth of Autumn's baby, but I couldn't get over the nerves. We had just experienced such a heart-wrenching failed match, and I couldn't allow myself to feel excited. Plus, I knew the baby was still Autumn's until she signed revocation papers.
My husband and I went exploring Salt Lake City, Utah to try to get our minds off what was happening. It didn't work:)
We bought Autumn and Lily matching stuffed bunnies (it was the weekend before Easter). Since then, we've taken Lily's picture with her bunny so Autumn can watch her grow.
I didn't know the beautiful girl growing inside our amazing birthmom's tummy. I didn't know she'd have curly hair and enormous eyes. I didn't know she would have the chubbiest, most kissable cheeks I'd ever seen. I didn't know she would LOVE to be swaddled and sang to. I didn't know her first word would be "HI" whenever she saw me come in the room. I didn't know she'd love bananas and hate peas so much that her entire body would shiver when I tried to feed them to her. I had no idea her tiny nose would crinkle when she smiles and that her laugh would make me laugh no matter what. I didn't know she'd love her bath, but hate having her hair washed. I didn't know she'd suck her thumb when she gets sleepy. And love to be rocked to sleep and pat my back while I pat hers. :)
I knew I would love whatever baby came to me no matter how he or she came to me. But, I didn't know it would be this much. I remember praying one year ago tonight with my whole heart for Autumn and for her baby about to be born. And tonight, I pray again with my whole heart for Autumn. I thank her and God for my beautiful daughter who brings joy and laughter and so much love to every single day. I've shed a few tears in the writing of this post, which is only fitting. I'm pretty sure I shed a few a year ago, too:)
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
One Year Ago Tonight
Posted by
katd
at
5:42 PM
Labels: adoption, birth mothers, Lily
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


21 comments:
Awww...
Happy Birthday, Lily!
(Great idea with the rabbit!)
You made me tear up! Very well written. I am not a super religous person but God sure works in mystereous and glorious ways!!!
Simply Beautiful!
Wow. I'm speechless. That is beautiful! Autumn loves you. Know in your heart. And she thanks you. The very same you feel about her. xoxo
Congratulations to you and Lily today.
And my thoughts got out to Autumn, too. I love the way you speak of her.
Beautiful post.
Happy Birthday, Lily! :)
Absolutely perfect words for a perfect trifecta of a relationship. What a blessing to be chosen to raise such a wonderful little girl...you are a wonderful mommy to a beautiful baby.
Happy Birthday Lily!!
How beautifully stated. Wow, I can't believe it's been a year -- yours was one of the first adoption blogs I started reading, and I remember checking anxiously to hear about little Lily joining your family! It gave me such hope. Congratulations. What a beautiful little girl, and a lucky one to have you for a mommy! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the birthday pictures -- I'm totally going to steal your tutu/birthday girl shirt idea...it is the cutest!!
Wow, what a powerful post. I actually wrote a very similar one yesterday as well ;)
Happy Birthday Lily!
(Beautiful post Mom!)
Your post brought tears to my eyes. It is truly amazing the love you feel for your child and the respect you have for the birthmother. Happy Birthday to Lily!!!
So poignant. So much like what I was feeling a few months ago. Lily is so beautiful, and she looks so much like my own daughter. I'm amazed at how similar our stories are.
That is a beautiful post. I hope Autumn can see it or you can one day share those feelings with her. And I hope you can archive this blog so that one day Lily can read it, too. It's just a beautiful expression of how you feel.
Beautiful post!
A very sweet tribute to Autumn and the awesome decision she made.
What an amazing post, it brings tears to my eyes.
Such a great post! thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings about your beautiful daughter and her birth mother. God Bless you all!
I love the bunny idea. I hope I remember it when my day comes.
Your post brings tears to my eyes, reading your love for Lily and Autumn.
I got teary just reading it... that is so beautiful! Funny you were in Salt Lake City that night and I was in labor just 45 minutes away in Orem! Such a touching entry, thank you!
Gorgeous post!
I remember I "met" you in Dec06. and was cheering you on when you found out about baby Lily.
I cannot believe it has been a year! Happy birthday to Lily! And to you! What a milestone.
oooh, you GOT me ...you really did. I know that Lily found her mommy in you, what a gift for both of you. Plus the way you talk about Autumn is amazing, YOU are amazing.
Happy Birthday Lily, You special, lucky little girl.
Post a Comment