I just googled myself with Lily's name and my blog was the first option. I thought I was being so sneaky by not using my "real" name, but it's there. I changed the email address associated with the blog thinking that might help, but nope. Is there anything I can do to get more privacy other than going password protected? I really don't want to do that, but I don't like the idea of my dentist or someone I went to high school with or someone I go to church with stumbling upon this blog. I like to feel free to express how I feel without feeling like people in my "real" life are peeking in.
Do I have to just get over it or PW protect? Sometimes the Internet is icky. :)
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Increased Privacy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


17 comments:
I know what you mean. I think you can request that you be removed from google and blogger through the settings:
If you click on Settings and Basic...it has a couple of drop down screens to change that setting.
I hope this helps.
Oh, I have a picture for you at home...I'll post it tonight ;-)
You could add the periods between her name and yours -- Li.ly. I am going back through my posts to do the same. It is a pain in the rear, but I hope it helps.
OMG i just did the same thing and my blog came up, not under my name but under Izzy's name and my nick name used on my blog. I did google my acutally full name and it didn't come up. I think I am going to go back in and take out her name from the title of the blog. I may do what Jess said and see if there is something in the settings
This won't prevent people from writing about you, but it will let you know if/when someone does:
Set up a google alert on yourself. You'll be notified anytime a webpage has your keyword on it.
I think there are settings that make it more private without going private, but, you know what I did. I hated to do it as well, but I wated to be able to share completely.
Good luck with your decisions. That one's a tough one.
Holy pickles! I'm glad you posted this...I want to go check too! I changed my blog name so certains couldn't find me but if they can google me (oh that sounds awful...giggle giggle) then what was the point?
Off to google - thanks! :)
You can change the settings in blogger so that it doesn't come up in a google search, but it can take a while to actually not show. I think it is up to a month after you change your settings that it can still be pulled.
If you wanted to move your blog, you could go to wordpress and only password protect certain posts.
I think removing your email address, or changing it to a more generic one and changing your options to not show in a google search will get you the results you want.
Just to see what happened, I googled your real name and Lily and didn't get your blog. I don't know if that makes you feel better or not! But it didn't work.
I'm too paranoid about this to give an objective opinion. :-)
But whatever makes you feel safe and free to speak your mind is what I support!
I don't know... I am alternately fine with anyone reading my blog and then terrified of discovery. Right now I'm in a "who cares" phase. :)
I stopped using our real names on our blog b/c of this.
I wanted to say, I can't believe how big Lily has gotten! And that hair, OH MY!! How about an arranged wedding for our kiddos?!
Hi -- great post, it definitely made me do some googling and thinking! I was wondering how to contact you by e-mail (is it correct internet etiquette to ask that? I don't see how to do it from the blog, but maybe I am just slow :) You can e-mail me at maygy13 at yahoo.com. Hope everything is going great...
Wow, scary stuff.
hmm, definitely remove your blog from the Blogger reader.
Another thought would be to move it over to wordpress, which would give you the ability to password protect certain posts.
I know what you mean. I can't be totally free for that very reason.
But I don't want to go private and I don't want to go back and change our names in all the posts.
Changing the settings should help. I think I'll do that as well.
I get a ton of goog*le hits with people searching for nuts. One guy even hit my blog when he was searching for an upcoming surgery that will leave him with half-nuts. Kinda funny, really sad. Just use * in place of letters in words that people might goog*le. I also made up names for my "people"...I would hate like hell for my kids to know that I whine about them to the entire world- :)
i did the same thing, only searching for my first and last name to see if my business site came up -- my blog was listed 2nd, just after it! the problem with mine was that a friend innocently linked me from their blog using my first and last name, and even though mine is private his is not. you might check with people you know to see if they've linked you using your real name. no matter what i do on mine now it still comes up in yahoo, even though he's changed it on his links. i just worry about my clients finding it!
i guess that wasn't much help. but i'll totally understand if you password protect. i like wordpress because i can pick and choose which posts are public and which to keep hidden.
I went through this a couple of months ago. It has helped me to use sitemeter so that I can see how people are getting to my page. If someone IRL did ever get there by google, I would at least know about it.
Post a Comment